A BBC Good Food Recipe…
170g caster sugar
170g self-raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp of decaf instant coffee or instant coffee (dissolve in 1 tbsp hot water)
For the Icing
225g icing sugar
1 1/2 tbsp decaf instant coffee or instant coffee (dissolve in 1 tbsp hot water)
Strawberry jam (optional)
walnuts, cherries or coffee beans to decorate (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C / 140C fan / gas 3. Line and butter two 18 cm sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and butter. Mix until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg and gradually add it to the mixture with 1 tbsp of flour each time (don’t use all the flour!). When eggs have been fully combined, add the rest of the flour and baking powder and fold it gently.
- Add the dissolved coffee to the mixture while still folding.
- Divide the mixture into the sandwich tins and cook for 25-30 minutes until risen and skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking, make the icing sugar by beating icing sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the dissolved coffee and whisk.
- Spread half the icing on the bottom of one half and on the other cake, spread the jam on one half, if applicable. Then sandwich the cakes together and spread the left over icing on the top.
- Time to decorate – I chose coffee beans.